The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2010-07-15

Gas Bar

gas4

gas5

gas7

gas3


Skirt? Vintage and thrifted
Tank? Majestic, Winners
Belt? Thrifted
Sandals? Marc Fisher
Bangle? Goodwill auction
Bag? Roots, thrifted

I like short skirts and I have made an executive decision to wear them for a very long time. I will wear them until my grand kids are too embarrassed to be seen in public with me... Because if I had to choose between getting a 'The World's Best Grandma' plaque (you know those hand-painted wooden ones, with hearts and ducks and aprons...) and short skirts, I would choose the plaque. But other than that, high hemlines are here to stay.
That is not to say that I can't have fun with different lengths though...
I'm pretty sure if I saw this skirt two years ago, I would have made a 'your mom's skirt' joke but now I feel all inspired. I imagined this vintage, jersey skirt with some super high heels, a blazer and a big scarf on a fall afternoon (ok, I didn't actually imagine what time of day it would be, it just finished off the sentence nicely). But fall is still a ways away, so I just paired it with a tank for a breezy summer look. I actually wore this on vacation last week ( I bought the skirt while thrifting on vacation too), so I'm glad I threw the striped tank in my travel bag at the last minute because the blue and the orange look smart together. The colour wheel never lies...

gas9


And there are a lot of pictures of full-on laughing (wildly inappropriate for a fashion blog) because apparently we were causing quite a scene. I thought an abandoned gas station backing off a two lane country road was a pretty low-key place for some outfit pictures, but I was wrong. Matt had his back to the traffic but I kept laughing because people were honking and waving. You would have thought there was a granny in a mini skirt with all the commotion going on...

31 comments :

tess said...

that's a great color! like tomato red!

Chaucee said...

Haha I love the reactions you got from people at the gas station! But what a great idea to take pictures! :D and cute outfit!

Sidewalk Chic said...

Love the new location -- I woulda honked at you :)

You rock the short skirts, but I love this longer length on you. So so pretty and very elegant.

Elaine said...

I love it. It's such a great color and the stripes make it perfect for summer!

clothed much, a modest fashion blog

Lindsey Dixon said...

Loving that skirt. I would have been afraid to do the striped tank with it, but you make it work so well!


Lindsey Soup

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

Why don't we smile? We should smile more often. You look fantastic.

Christina said...

These photos are really well done. It looks like an editorial in a fashion mag. Love the color combo and as always the stripes!

celine said...

I LOVE this outfit. It's one of my favorites. I've been looking for a skirt just like that and I love how you wore it. Nicely done :)

flnw.blogspot.com

Laura said...

Eee I love the skirt, it's such a gorgeous colour.

L x

http://only-halfdressed.blogspot.com/

Lisa D. said...

love it! i have a pink circle skirt that's about that length, and my favorite thing to wear it with is a blue and white striped tank. :) what a cool spot for some photos!

Anonymous said...

As a confirmed long-skirt lover: JEALOUS! What a find!

And I love seeing you grinny and laughing. You look radiant.

Maria said...

I love the outfit! And I love the blurb. I teach writing for a living, so I can recognize a good writer. I read your blog half for the outfits and half for the writing. You, good writer, you.

brittneynikkole said...

I love the bright color of the skirt and there being so much of it just makes it that much better! Also I love that you smile so much. Makes it look like you're having fun and isn't that what blogging is supposed to be about? And even if it's not, keep up the smiles just ‘cause they rock!

merl said...

I love short skirts when I'm standing still... long skirts for keeping my peekachoo off public chairs when I sit in public.

I'm going to call this skirt 'mango on crack' because it's that great halfway pt between bright red and rich orange. You are the only person I can't get mad at for always finding amazing flipping things thrifting because it looks amazing on you. [I gagged writing that last sentence.. ok maybe I only get a little jealous]

Sarah said...

Your skirt definitely has a breezy look to it, I love it! Your outfit looks effortless. I'm definitely a skirt at least right above the knee girl, I've always had a fear of looking like a mom in long skirts, I think it's time to conquer my fear!

Anonymous said...

I love this outfit, jentine! That shade of blue is perfect with the bright orange, and I love the stripes against the solid. And that last photo of you laughing? Simply gorgeous!

Julia said...

I would murder for that bracelet. Really. I would. So summery and light, while also being weighty and heavy. In short, perfect.

xo

Candycane said...

Great colour combo .. and great shots!

xXx

Juls said...

cool pictures! interesting setting and i love the skirt

WendyB said...

Love the skirt length.

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

You look amazing (as usual). This is clearly the reason for the honking and waving. I feel inspired to join in.

Secondhand Stella said...

Love this outfit! The skirt and the top def look great together. Only you could make a mom skirt look that good ;)

Ms. Falcon said...

awesome colours! i love everything about this outfit! the skirt is just blah blah blah... i could write about its loveliness for hours...

www.wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

violette said...

Great skirt, very cute outfit!

Lori said...

I absolutely adore this outfit.
http://nomoresweatpants.blogspot.com/

Jess said...

i loved your photos!!!

Kyla said...

These pictures are awesome! I love your smile :)

cocojones said...

great outfit - simple but striking, really like the colour combination.

Sabrina said...

perfect outfit, perfect color combo, perfect location, and perfect smile.

All together perfecT!

Paige said...

i love your style!! great blog!

http://20somethingshopaholic.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I;'d love to put my hand up your skirt, make you squirt in your panties